Kobo and OverDrive are sister Rakuten companies with a combined passion for readers and reading. Working together, we have developed a way to make it easy for KWL authors to opt their titles directly into OverDrive’s library marketplace with terms that are comparable to working directly with OverDrive rather than through a third-party company. This means that you get 50% royalties (the highest royalty rate of any platform) and you don't have to pay an aggregator fee.
- You have the option to opt-in eBooks to OD’s library system on a title-by-title basis (At the moment, authors must request to have OverDrive activated on their account - email us if you would like to opt in!).
- You will be able to set a unique USD library price (that can and should be different from your USD retail price). We recommend that you increase prices - they should be a few dollars higher than your normal USD retail price
- OverDrive does not accept anything less than $0.99 and will reject Public Domain content
- You will be paid 50% of the USD library price for every sale to an OverDrive-enabled library
- In this early phase of the KWL/OverDrive relationship, there will not be any online KWL Dashboard reporting. Reporting will all be done via the monthly sales spreadsheets that you receive from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Payment will be added to the regular KWL payments to KWL accounts with the same (45 days later) approach as retail sales
KWL USER VIEW
Users with OverDrive Distribution will see the opportunity to opt their titles in via the Rights and Distribution tab in Kobo
By default, when you go to that screen, this is what you will see….
The Terms of Service appears (when you click on that link) in a pop up box
Once the author clicks on the OPT-IN for OverDrive, the USD library price field opens up.
Here is the help text you will see when you click into that field. (A notice that your price must be at least $0.99)
Once you have entered a price, this is what your view will look like.
A listing of locations for OD empowered libraries and schools appears here
Reports will be sent in Excel files direct to users via vsr@Kobo.com and will indicate the library branch name and State/Province and County – example of how it would appear