You asked for it – and now you have it! Free download tracking is now easier than ever in the KWL dashboard. Here is what you need to know about this exciting update.
- As of April 30, free downloads are now included in your overall dashboard numbers, instead of in the old Free Download Tracker
- Your free downloads are also shown in your #kwlmap. Have you noticed that you’re reaching more even more countries than before? Take a look, and share your #kwlmap on Twitter 😊
- Yesterday (June 4), we rolled out a handy check-box filter allowing you to toggle between including and excluding free downloads when you look at the dashboard stats
- We’ve deleted the old Free Download Tracker from the dashboard
What Hasn’t Changed
- Downloads of eBooks that you have priced at $0 will not be included in your monthly sales reports, which only include sales for which you will receive revenue
- You can price your eBooks at $0, anytime, for any length of time—no strings attached. You don’t need to ask us for the ability to do that. It’s open to all KWL authors, and always has been, because we love you
When Does Free Work?
- You have several eBooks available (definitely, more than one).
- Permafree—you choose one title (first in a series, series prequel, novella or short story, or an older backlist title you’re looking to revitalize), and keep it free. This strategy is still working well for Kobo authors looking to offer an easy way for readers to give their books a try. Is your permafree not working? Keep experimenting, and try offering a different title for free instead.
- Free promotion—several sites feature limited-time price-drop promotions, including the following: BookBub, Freebooksy, Free Books for Free.
- Feature on Kobo’s Free Page! You can apply in the KWL Promotions Tool to be featured on Kobo’s dedicated page of free eBooks. Don’t have the promo tab in your dashboard yet? Email us at email@example.com and we’ll help you out.
We are dedicated to improving the KWL dashboard and making your experience even better. We have more exciting updates coming as the year continues—stay tuned. Thanks, as ever, for using Kobo Writing Life!